Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thomas Drinkard Interviews IAN Member Corrine Coleman!

This interview was previously published at Thomas Drinkard's bloghttp://brinson1.wordpress.com/


Todays interview with Corrine Coleman, Author of “On The Big White Oak”

T. Hello Corrine. Tell us about yourself.

C. Well, I was raised on Long Island, New York. I still live here and love it. I’ve had the opportunity to go other places, but I love the idea of Manhattan only a short drive away, the beaches at my fingertips and the wineries and farms available when I’m feeling the need for country.

I grew up surrounded by a large family (my parents each had six/seven brothers and sisters) and I was the first to be born out of all my cousins. I have a brother and a sister whom I am very close with. Family is important to me.

My parents passed away when I was young and because of this, I became independent at a very young age. I spent many years in management for Fortune 500 companies, a career I left in 2009 to pursue my dreams of becoming a novelist. Now, here I am!

T. When did you start writing?

C. I started writing in elementary school. I would create picture books (little fairy tale stories) that my school library made available for other children to take out. For as long as I can remember I have always loved to write. It came natural to me and I was very imaginative.

T. Was there a favorite writing teacher or mentor?

C. My Uncle Brian. He was a greatly respected and loved English professor in New York. He was the uncle that bought me a book for every occasion. He was the one that took me into the village and showed me the different ways people lived. He took me to plays. He taught me culture. He was a writer, too. He wrote a book that was never published, but I read the manuscript when I was young. I remember loving it. He dreamed of getting published, but passed away before he had the opportunity.

T. Please tell us about your current book.

C. On the Big White Oak is a story about three people and the changes that occur in their lives after two of them make an impulsive decision.

It’s an exploration about the depth of love and how it can die or be manipulated. It explores the power of mistakes that cannot be taken back and the way that guilt can press down on a soul so firmly, even breathing becomes tainted. It explores choice.

I find it to be a bit of a complex love triangle and it is told from all three characters’ perspectives.

T. Do you have a sequel or prequel in mind or in progress?

C. I didn’t at first. After getting feedback from my readers, though, I think there will be one in the future. Not any time soon, though. Right now, I’m working on my next novel. Hopefully it will be out in November, if all goes smoothly.

T. What are your thoughts about the future of digital publishing?

C. I’m mixed on the subject. Obviously, it’s given a lot of creative people the opportunity to self-publish their work and easily make it available to the readers, who, in turn, have more of a selection to choose from. Readers can choose a book and read it anytime, anywhere, with simply the click of a button.

I still like the old-fashioned novel, though. Book in hand. Reading light on. The sound of the pages crinkling as I turn them. I just can’t seem to walk away from that idea or fathom the thought that people might walk away from it forever!

Ultimately, though, reading is reading. However people choose to do it is their business. As long as people are reading, I’m happy.

T. Where can people see your work?

Many places. I’m listed on quite a few reader/author sites. But I believe the two best places are my website, http://www.corrinecoleman.com/ , where people can read excerpts from my book as well as find out about upcoming books. Also, my facebook page. I am very active on there; I list excerpts from my novel, show book trailers, hold contests and engage with people.

T. Thank you.

C. Thank you!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Corrine, Great interview! I'll check your website out and Facebook. Your book description, On the Big white Oak, sounds very interesting.

    You were fortunate at least to have an Uncle Brian.

    Jacqueline Howett Author of The Greek Seaman

    ReplyDelete