Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Thomas Drinkard Interviews IAN Member Rae Spencer

This interview was previously published at Thomas Drinkard's bloghttp://brinson1.wordpress.com/



Today, I’m pleased to introduce Rae Spencer to the Pinnacle Writing readers. She has written her debut novel, which will soon be available. I’ll let her tell you about it.


T. What is the name of your book and what genre?

R. Beyond A Proposition, erotica

T. What is it about?

R. Beyond A Proposition is about a “friends with benefits” agreement between a rockstar and an older divorced woman that develops into something more and the complications that arise from such a relationship.

T. Where will it be available?

R. Amazon, Barnes&Noble

T. What inspired you to write this book?

R. I love rock music and have a fetish for musicians (it runs in the family), I took my fetish and combined it with a comment my sister loves to make to me about finding a “friend with benefits” and this story flowed.

T. How did you choose the title?

R. Carefully, lol! The title changed from the comment that inspired the story to reflect that there was more to the story and to give the story a more original title.

T. Who is your favorite character in your novel, and why?

R. Skye is my favorite character. She represents many women my age and their insecurities and self esteem issues. Yet she is independent, self-sustaining, and intriguing enough to snare the hero.

T. Who is the ideal reader for your book?

R. Anyone who likes erotica.

T. What publicity plans do you have?

R. Not sure yet, first time around, still learning the ropes.

T. Where can readers learn more about your book?

R. I have recently set up a Facebook fan page.

T. Are you working on your next book? What can you tell us about it?

R. Yes, I have another story completed; it has a “rockstar” theme also, but has a heavier plot dealing with stalking and abuse.

T. Tell us something about yourself. (Where are you from, what is your background, how long have you been writing and anything else we might find interesting about you).

R. I am from northeast Pennsylvania, a little town called Harveys Lake. I currently work as a paper-pusher, have two boys and a granddaughter. I love to write poetry, cross-stitch, and hula-hoop. I have been writing for about twenty-five years, in the last few years I began to submit and share my work. Interesting tidbits – I am considered by family to be far too nice for my own good.

T. What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Favorite book? Why?

R. I love to read romance novels. Stephanie Laurens, Johanna Lindsey, Debra Dier and Julie Garwood are my favorite authors. One of my favorite books is Devil’s Honor by Debra Dier. I love reading about the decadent British nobility and seeing a man who everyone thinks is beyond saving make a turnaround when he falls in love. I am a romantic at heart.

T. What is your guilty pleasure read you turn to for sheer entertainment value (book, particular author)?

R. I don’t really have a particular book, I consider all of my romances to be guilty pleasures and I can pick any one up and read just for the enjoyment and entertainment.

T. When did you start writing?

R. I started writing in high school, although it was decades before I began sharing my writing with anyone.

T. Was there a favorite writing teacher or mentor?

R. My writing mentor would have to be the cl on the ivillage poetry message boards, Patricia Gomes, without her support, encouragement, insight, and help over the last few years I would probably still be writing in the closet.

T. Name one fun/weird/frightening fact about you that we don’t already know.

R. A weird fact: I lost my romance collection twice to floods because they were stored in the basement, now I store them in the attic.

T. Where can readers learn more about you?

R. My Facebook Fan page.

T. What sorts of things inspire you as a writer?

R. It varies, sometimes people watching can inspire or comments made by others and even pictures, anything from a leaky pipe to a butterfly to a sarcastic comment.

T. How do you approach a story? Do you start with outlines or something else? Planner or pantster?

R. I don’t normally have an outline, the stories are just there in my head, and I write them out as I think them, then go back and edit into an acceptable story and fill in any missing plot details.

T. Where do you work when writing? What is your ideal creative environment?

R. I use a laptop for my writing, so pretty much anywhere I can plant my butt. Someday I want my own library with a fireplace and chaise lounge that I can sit on and write, big dreams, hee hee.

T. When do you write (morning, night)?

R. Whenever I want, I have no set time. I carry a notepad around with me in case something comes to me when I am not home.

T. Do you have any writing rituals?

R. Not really, I pretty much go with the flow.

T. How do you come up with the names for your characters?

R. Usually whatever strikes my fancy, although I like uncommon female names.

T. Is writing your main creative outlet, or do you have other talents/creative pursuits?

R. I like to cross-stitch and my baby blankets have been a hit with family and friends. I love the harp but found I possess ten thumbs when it comes to music but I continue to play just because I like the sound, although those that listen might disagree.

T. Do you ever get writers’ block? How do you tackle it?

R. Of course, lots of times. I usually walk away for a day then try free writing, even if nothing good comes out of the free writing it is still writing and helps get you back on track.

T. What’s the most personally challenging aspect of writing?

R. Plot – making it work and tying up the loose ends.

T. What is the best advice you can give other writers about writing?

R. Never give up and edit, edit, put away for a week or two then edit some more.

T. What genres do you write in? Why?

R. Erotica/romance, being a huge reader of romance and erotica I thought it would be fun to write my own and found that I enjoyed it immensely. I love bringing characters and fantasies to life.

T. Tell us your “story of getting published.”

R. When I wrote my erotica story it sat for months as I debated whether to submit it or not. I searched through the publishing world for a publisher of erotica and found Lazy Day on Twitter. I was intrigued with them and decided to take a chance, if I learned anything from submitting with poetry, the worse thing that can happen is you get a rejection, but if you never take the chance, you will never know. In January, Lazy Day offered me a contract, which was one of the most exciting moments in my life in a very long time.

T. What was your first reaction when Lazy Day Publishing offered you a contract?

R. Complete surprise, I dropped my laptop, snapping the lid closed and turning it off, which made me have to wait until it rebooted to reply.

T. What obstacles did you encounter in getting this book published? How did you overcome them?

R. I still have a few months to go until my book comes out so I can’t answer these questions until I finish going through the publishing process.

T. Thanks for your time, Rae. I enjoyed our “visit.”

R. Thanks for the opportunity Thomas, I truly appreciate it and your time.


Rae Spencer at IAN

Thomas Drinkard at IAN


No comments:

Post a Comment