Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Marguerite Ashton: The IAN Interview

Marguerite Ashton is Founder of the popular blog Criminal Lines and Co-founder of the Crime Writers’ Panel. There she works alongside Joe Giacalone with other panel members to educate writers on the importance of showing accurate portrayals of criminal investigations and law enforcement procedures in their novels.

Her radio show, Criminal Lines Radio airs weekly, bringing together law enforcement and authors in an open forum.

She grew up in Colorado, but now resides in Wisconsin, where she is currently working on her next book. 

A member of Sisters in Crime.

Her readers can visit her website at www.margueriteashton.com


IAN. Please tell us about your latest book.


M.A. “Burned Bridges” is about a woman named Traci who, after learning of her friend's past, withholds information from the police in order to protect her. Believing she's doing the right thing, Traci turns a blind eye until she receives a text from someone determined to use her as bait to get to the truth.

IAN. What formats is your book available? 

M.A. Burned Bridges is available in three formats. eBook, Print and Audio. And now it can be downloaded on all eReaders through Smashwords.

IAN. Where can we go buy Burned Bridges?

Smashwords  Amazon  Kobo  Barnes&Noble   iTunes   Diesel 


IAN. How long did it take to write Burned Bridges?

M.A. It took two years to complete Burned Bridges. The first year I let the creative flow take over and wrote what I wanted. Upon finishing the first draft, I realized that if I wanted to take my career seriously, I needed to make some adjustments and find a writing mentor. Once we established what professional course I wanted to take, she put me through writing exercises before letting me write one word. Not long after that, I learned that rewrites were my favorite part of the writing process.

IAN. How did you come up with the title?

M.A. If we look at life there is at least one issue from our past that is like a knife in our side. People hurt each other; sometimes accidental and other times on purpose, which creates a division that can last for decades.
These are burned bridges.

IAN. What do you hope your readers come away with after reading Burned Bridges?

M.A. I’m hoping my readers will feel inspired. I want them to know that no matter how big the challenges are in their lives that there are people around them willing to help if they seek them out. It’s all about loyalty and friendship.

IAN. What books have most influenced your life most?

M.A. The Life of Elizabeth 1 by Alison Weir. She was an independent woman who defied conventional wisdom that said a woman could not lead a nation without a man. She proved them wrong.

IAN. What book are you reading now?

M.A. Forensics and Fiction by D.P. Lyle

IAN. Do you see writing as a career?

M.A. Absolutely! I think of my writing as a business. It includes regular work hours and weekly consults with my mentor and editor. I’ve structured it this way to help keep me disciplined in my writing.

IAN. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

M.A. My favorite author is David Baldacci. I love his writing style and his ability to keep me in suspense with his political thrillers.

IAN. Who designed the cover Burned Bridges?

M.A. Judy Bullard is the designer of my book covers. She does a fantastic job!

IAN. Did you learn anything from writing Burned Bridges and what was it?

M.A. Yes I did. I learned how much I enjoy entertaining my readers. 
It was strengthened after receiving emails from several of them about the book. They informed me that they had their favorite scenes and others had their favorite characters. And that was something that I was hoping to hear.

IAN. Tell us about your next book or a work in progress.

M.A. Well, I’m currently working one as I finish up another. Book two in the Crossing Series is my WIP and will be out later this year. My upcoming novel, Led by Lies will be released in August. It is the first book in the Lies Series. 

IAN. Do you have any advice for other writers?

M.A. Stick with it and give it your A.L.L

     A. Ask questions about yourself and your writing. Make sure this is something you want to do.
     L. Listen to the answers. Sometimes the reply is not what you’d expect or want to hear.
     L. Learn from those answers. Then take the appropriate steps to master your art.

IAN. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

M.A. I want to say thank you for taking a chance on me. I appreciate the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment