Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rebekah Lyn: The IAN Interview

Rebekah Lyn is a Florida native, with a degree in Communications from Jacksonville University. The mountains of North Carolina are as much a home to her as the Florida beaches. She’s dabbled in writing most of her life and pursued it seriously for the past three years, completing three books with a fourth nearing first draft completion. She enjoys traveling, baking, gardening, reading, and spending time with her family. Her Christian faith is an important part of who she is and she enjoys sharing this faith with her readers, providing them the hope she has found so often in times of trial. To learn more, you can visit her website, RebekahLynBooks.com



IAN. Please tell us about your latest book:


RL. My latest release is Winter’s End, the second book in the Seasons of Faith Series. Readers can pick up on the lives of Lizzie, Jeffrey, Ian, and Stephen, the main characters in Summer Storms as well as meet some quirky new characters. Things start off with a bang when a woman is murdered in her office, a corporate espionage plot is uncovered, and a romantic weekend turns into an experiment in wilderness survival. 

IAN. Is Winter’s End published in print, e-book or both?


R.L. All of my books are available in both print and e-book for all e-readers


IAN. Did you use an outline or do you just wing the first draft?

R.L. I completely wing the first draft. I tried to have a preconcieved idea of what I wanted for my work in progress, but I felt like I was trying to fit the proverbial square peg in a round hole. When I let go of what I thought the story should be it really started flowing. 

IAN. How did you come up with the title?

R.L. The titles in the Seasons of Faith series, obviously are going to have the season the book is set in along with something that gives you an idea of what the book might be about-Summer Storms, Winter’s End. The Coastal Chronicles are all going to be named after the main character.

IAN. What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?

R.L. I have a real heart for people, I want to encourage those who are already believers in Jesus Christ, but I also want to open the door to those who may not yet be believers. I want to show that even when we commit our lives to God that we still face temptations, still grieve, but there is hope.

IAN. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

R.L. I didn’t read much Christian fiction before I found Terri Blackstock, because I just couldn’t relate to it, because my life as a Christian wasn’t wrapped up in a bubble of sweetness and happily ever afters. Blackstock’s books are real and gritty, showing how even Christians struggle. Reading her books gave me the courage to pursue writing similar stories when I decided to take the plunge

IAN. What book are you reading now?

R.L. I just started reading George Washington’s Sacred Fire by Peter Lillback. I try to read a good history book every couple of months and I figured in honor of the 4th of July I would pull this one off the the to-be-read shelf. 

IAN. Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

R.L. I have a wonderful writing partner, DiVoran Lites, who helped me develop my first two books. We work well together and balance each other out in many ways. Where my books are bit more edgy, DiVoran’s are more classic. We have even partnered together on our website where we share what’s happening in our current writing adventures. We would love to have you come and visit, RebekahLynBooks.com

I’ve also met some incredibly supportive folks through social media too. The Indie Writing community is full of some truly wonderful people and I will always be grateful to them. 
IAN. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

R.L. I’ve loved words since I was a child. I devoured Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew books on every summer vacation. I wrote my first complete story when I was ten, and a string of unfinished stories all through high school. I was the kid who actually looked forward to term paper assignments in high school and college. When I started working, I got away from writing, but I’ve been back at it for about ten years and I don’t see an end in sight yet. 

IAN. Do you have to travel much concerning your books?

R.L. I don’t know that I have to travel, but I do make it a point to spend time in the areas where I set my books. When I was writing Julianne I roped in my best friend for a road trip to Wilmington, NC and some of the nearby coastal communities to wander around, take pictures, soak up the atmosphere and get a sense of the culture. My next coastal book is going to be set in Charleston, SC and I am looking forward to my visit there.

IAN. Who designed the covers?

R.L. Laura Wright LaRoche, LLPix.com. She is absolutely wonderful! I feel like she practically reads my mind, and when I’m not quite happy with something she is very patient, helpful, and understanding. I can whole hearteadly recommend her. 

IAN. Tell us about your next book or a work in progress. Is it a sequel or a stand alone?

R.L. My current work in progress is, Jessie, the second book in the Coastal Chronicles, which are stand-alone stories in a variety of coastal communities. I’m having so much fun working on this one. It is set on Florida’s east coast, during the early years of the U.S. space program. I grew up on the space coast with the Space Shuttle program, but I have learned so much researching this project and gained a whole new appreciation for the community and the enormous talent of the men and women who made space travel possible. My main character is a thirteen-year-old-boy and his three brothers, which has been an adventure in itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment